Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Little of This, A Little of That

The hard drive on my laptop is misbehaving.  I wonder if it's been hanging around with my son!  OK, seriously I think I will have to replace it again.  I'm using Tony's computer now.  Besides being computer-less we've been gone and busy, so there hasn't been much online time.

We castrated Jasper today-banded his testacles.  We would be my husband and SD's boyfriend.  We just met him today too.  We enjoyed their company and had a good visit.  They both tried milking Annie the goat and were able to get a little milk from her.

I think my son has seasonal allergies.  He's kinda wet and coughing-similar to what I experience.  I thought it might be something more because his cheeks and ears were red and hot.  A couple of hours later though I took his temp and he's fine.  He'll get to go to preschool tomorrow after all.

I had to clean out the fridge today to reclaim my quart jars.  It was a process!  I had a gallon of Elsie milk that's a few weeks old that I fed to the chickens and cats.  I combined the individual day's qt jars into gallon jars and have nearly a gallon of cow milk and over a gallon of goat milk.  I even used 2 qts of cow milk to make yogurt and have that much left.  We made ice cream over the weeked with cream from Elsie-it's good!

Elsie is getting a little easier to milk, but still tries to swipe my hand away.  Once we get Jasper's pen done I think things will be easier.

I suppose if I keep going it won't be just a little of this or that any more, so I must quit - or change the title!

2 comments:

  1. You don't need to change the title, cause things "cooking" could be anything going on the farm. Glad Elsie is finally getting better and glad that you are using her milk. I would think that being a young Jersey that getting half a gallon of milk a milking would be tops for awhile.

    It's not fun to do the job for the bull-calves, but necessary. Glad you got Jasper done at a young age... it's easier on him.

    Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant the title of the post, not the blog, since it had "little" in it twice and the info was appraoching more than a little.

    I'll be trying the whole process myself today. Tony's been taking the brunt of her discontent but he can't keep taking time off work for this.

    ReplyDelete