Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Finally!

Last night was Jasper's first night in the pen and we had been warned that mama and baby might bellow all night long until they get used to the separation.  I heard mama a few times, but not all night long.  I did hear her at 630 when Tony got up though, so I got up too.  We went out to see how this new plan was going to work and though there are a few bugs to work out still, it was an amazing difference!  We moved Jasper to his side of the milk stand and tied Elsie up insde.  I got ready to start and Tony lifted the panel keeping Jasper out.  We assumed being on the left side that he'd nurse the left teats, but he wanted the right ones.  Tony had to hold him back while I milked the right side, and he kept trying to take over, but I got half a gallon of milk in what seemed a very short time!  I was able to put the bucket on the ground and use two hands and she never kicked my side.  She did swat at him a couple of times, the first time depositing unsanitary grass into the bucket, so the chickens are happy today too.  However, she never kicked at me or on my side.  I stopped at half a gallon, am sure I could have gotten another quart or more.  I think I felt her let down her hind milk, but not sure what that feels like.  We also learned that what we thought was a sufficient "butting" of the udder to encourage more milk flow was woefully inadequate!  When Jasper does it, Elsie's whole middle jumps-no wonder they say that a calf can damage the teats at 3 months of age.  He startled me every time he did it.

I'll still need Tony's help tomorrow, and if Jasper won't settle for the left side, I'm wondering if we should let him have the right and I'll milk the left?  I know it needs to be consistent, just not sure if we can go ahead and switch sides since it's early in her milking career.

3 comments:

  1. You may think it is taking forever, but I see progress in each of your reports. And I am learning so much from you. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patience is key, and showing her you won't back down. I bet within a month, you and her have your routine down pat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you may be able to keep Jasper away from Elsie while milking and then let them together. You will NOT get all the milk so he starves doing it this way. Then you won't have to fight him for the teats. But if she doesn't let down, then let him nurse. Just keep smacking his nose. But DO try to do it without his assistance.

    As far as her peeing and pooping when you are milking, I don't know. It probably is a matter of revolt, but maybe not. Are cows smart enough to know you object to their natural eliminations to time it when you are there? Don't know, can't tell you .... sorry.

    ReplyDelete