Thursday, February 11, 2010

It Smells Like Idaho in My Backyard

But I live in AZ. It's my cow, I'm sure of it. All the stuff she's depositing in the pasture is making it smell like my grandma's house. OK, not inside her house...

My mom was born and raised in Idaho and most all of the family still lives there. We visit every couple of years and while I was milking Elsie today I noticed that the scent outside reminded me of those visits. They used to have a cow. I remember my grandpa trying to show me how to milk her, but I couldn't do it. I can now!

We had a FABULOUS sunny day today and it has really helped my mood! I even told Tony that it's been a very long time since I felt peace or joy and today I think I felt both. I'd like to think that's God's way of encouraging us to go ahead and build out house because it will be greater potential for this type of day when Tony has a shop at home. He basically took the afternoon off to help me milk the silly cow and build a second stall. The first will become Jasper's pen and the one next to it will be where we milk Elsie. Jasper will be able to nurse the left side while I milk out the right side.

I also had an idea for being able to use both hands and keep the milk bucket from getting knocked over. I think I'll get a large galvanized tub that's high enough on the sides to keep her hooves out and set the bucket inside to milk.

I got 3 qts from Elsie and 3 qts from the goats. She better pick up production!

5 comments:

  1. I think I went to the wrong blog, but I am glad I visited this one too. Nice blog! I have enjoyed reading some of it. I understand your trials with your milk cow kicking the milk pail. We have a few dairy goats besides the Boer meat goats and I do milk them. My husband was nice enough to build a milk stand that was kind of tall to make things easier on my back. One day my Nubian Dym, who produces a ridiculous amount of milk any way snuck her foot past my arm and kicked the bucket over. Even as large of a pail as it was I didn't want to make two trips to the house so I was trying to milk her out without changing buckets so it was full clear to the brim with milk. Her well placed kick sent a tidal wave of milk all over my lap! I have heard milk baths are good for the skin but that isn't what I had in mind. LOL They do have their moments! Good luck with your cow milking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so much faster to use two hands for milking. Glad you are getting it figured out. I used to have the pail between my legs, at an angle, but then, Ginger behaved (for the most part) and because I had my head on her side, I could feel her start to kick, if she chose, and could move me and the pail out of the way. Of course I was younger and more agile then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it amazing what memories a smell can return to us?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Job! It can be hard to learn to milk let alone use 2 hands, lol. Have you heard of a hobble? Its a strap that you put on their back legs while milking. It can make things much easier on you. I have dairy goats and haven't needed a hobble just a flick on the ear each time they try to kick and it stops in a couple of weeks. Don't worry about her milk supply its there but she is "holding" it on you. All you need to do it bump her udder with your fist like the babies do when they head but the udder only not very hard. This will cause her milk to let down. Classical music will help sooth her nerves and make her more prone to let down. If you choose no music she'll start giving you more milk after she learns to relax which could take a while. In general your cow should be giving you 1.5-3 gal of milk a day depending on breed, diet and weather she a first time mother or 2nd.....Your goats depending on breed {excluding pygmy}, how many times she been bred, and genetics should give you 1 quart to 1.5 gal a day.
    My mini Nubian gives me about half a gal a day as a 2nd time mother while my Saanen gives me between 1 and 1.5 gal a day and shes on her 5th yr of milking. Each goat gives diff kind of milk due to the butterfat content. Milk is usually weighed in lbs. rather than measured in gal.
    If want to boost their production then take the time to massage the udder for 5-15 min after each milking, and maybe even milk her 3 times a day, this will also help her to become comfortable with milking faster. Also milking every 12 hrs rather than the traditional morning then 8 hrs later will get you more milk. You can also go to http://fiascofarm.com/ and click on Molly's herbals and buy Mo' milk {here's the direct link http://www.fiascofarm.com/herbs/mollysherbals.php/products/momilk}. I don't have to use this often but when i do it works great.
    Good luck and happy milking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We used a hobble on the goats at first, but their legs are so small that even the small one for goats was kinda big. I can't imagine putting something like our goat hobble on Elsie, even sized for her. She'd probably kick my teeth out! I can do the 2 handed milking, but she won't keep her hooves on the ground long enough to allow it. She'll stomp the bucket. We're finishing up the calf pen tomorrow morning, so Sunday will be a test in the milking dept. Jasper (the calf) will have gone w/o all night and be eager to eat, and she holds still for him. He'll nurse the left side while I milk the right side (hopefully) and since she holds still for him I'm hoping to be able to put the bucket on the ground and get both teats at the same time! If she gives just a gallon a day it will be more than enough for our current needs. This is her first calf and my first cow to milk. We'll either get the hang of it soon, or she'll be traded in!

    ReplyDelete