Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Sound of Music

It's my all time favorite movie, despite the fact that I think musicals are stupid.  Now is that a contradiction or what?  We've got it on VHS and Goober Gus chose to watch it this afternoon as our nap time movie.  He watches, we nap.  I'm glad he likes it, mostly because it means a family tradition will be carried on.  I think one of the reasons I like it so much is simply because of childhood memories watching it.  We saw it in the theater in the early 70's, with my Grandma and parents, and then after that NBC played it on TV annually.

Today I fell asleep as the children were crying at the dinner table because Maria had "covered their sin".  That connection just hit me-aren't we grateful that 'love covers a multitude of sins"?  I can remember hearing them sing shortly after Maria has tuaght them, but then I was totally out until the Captain returns with Baroness Scraeder.  I tried to just keep my eyes closed and rest more, but listening to the movie gave me a deeper revelation of the powerful sway music has over our emotions.  I'm always touched by the scene that softens the Captains heart, but listening instead of watcching deepened that.  Maria is true to her beliefs and doesn't let social status or class keep her from saying what the Captain needs to hear to open his heart again so that he can love....the children as well as Maria as we soon find out!

I tear up upon hearing Edelweiss, whether in the movie or elsewhere.  My brothers in law played it at our wedding.  Right now Maria and the Captain have just revealed their love for one another while singing Something Good.

The whole story is romantic, full of love, awe, wonder, intrigue, fulfilled dreams, and standing up for what's right.  I think another reason I can bypass the fact that it's a musical and let it be at the top of my favorite movie list is that people don't spontaneously break into choreographed song and dance.  The songs are sung and dances danced as part of normal life.  It's believable.  Hope you've enjoyed my little review and my favorite song from the movie!



Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should get you the soundtrack and put head phones on at night for a more peaceful sleep. Happy dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my mother's favorite movie; she got a chance to meet Maria Von Trapp back in the 60's and traveled to Vermont to their inn during the late 90's. (She was anything but a groupie, so it was even more profound that she was so attached to this movie). My grandmother wanted that song and her funeral (although it had different words to it). Needless to say, we watched it a lot and it became my favorite, too.

    Besides showing this movie to my girls a LOT, I read the book of their true story to my oldest. Now my own girls know all the words to all the songs and it's their favorite. I think this makes Sound of Music a classic, don't you think?

    ReplyDelete