Wednesday, April 21, 2010

What's for Dinner Tonight?

I've been trying to be more pro-active with that question.  I've printed a blank monthly calendar to fill in dinner plans for each night, also trying to use what we already have.  It's been helping, but I need to get out of the rut of the same few options, so I subscribed to The Homemaking Cottage.  I spent an evening on the couch with my laptop perusing the Recipe section while my son watched movies.  This one sounded like a good option for nights when I won't be able to spend time cooking.  Although I have a tendancy to adapt recipes to our needs and what's on hand, so mine was a bit different.  It's in the crock pot now, I'll have to leave a comment about how we liked it. 
Someone gave us a couple of spaghetti squash, so I used one instead of noodles.  I split it and placed it in the crockpot with water for a few hours on high.  It might not have needed that long, but I was doing other things.  Then I oiled the crock pot, scraped the squash into a bowl and added the eggs and paremesan cheese.  I used ricotta cheese and spicy Italian sausage.  I forgot to buy sauce (hey, I had 3 preschoolers in the cart!) so I used diced tomatoes, drained.  I layered everything and topped with a bit more parmesan.  When it's almost time to serve it I will put the shreeded cheese on top.  If I had really been on the ball I would have put some bread in the machine.  Oops!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I am stealing that spaghetti squash recipe for tonight!!!

    THANKS! Dinner Plan = DONE!!

    ReplyDelete