Friday, April 23, 2010

I Made Ketchup!

I know that shouldn't be so exciting...but it's one more thing I did for our family that didn't depend on consumerism so much.  And no corn derivitives.  Here's what I did:

4 lbs tomatoes
1/2 C vinegar
1/4 C sugar
1/2 ounce salt (rough measure)

I cooked the tomatoes in the crock pot until they could be smashed.  I removed as much liquid as I could and put the rest thru the blender to smooth it out.  In the crock pot I put the rest of the ingredients and stirred til the sugar and salt were dissolved.  I added the tomato mix and it's simmering now-lid off-to let any more moisture cook out.  It tastes a bit salty, so maybe less salt.  It looks like it will yield about a quart.  I don't plan to give it a hot water bath.  I think the vinegar, sugar and salt will preserve it until we've used it all.  It'll be kept in the fridge too.

4 comments:

  1. moderndayhippy4/23/10, 3:00 PM

    Thanks for this easy recipe! I'm going to keep this for when I do mine this summer. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use a lot LESS salt-like just 8ml. Not sure what that converts to. Also, this qty made a pint, not a quart. Glad I could help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will use this recipe. What does 8ml of salt convert to in teaspoons?
    I just made our chocolate syrup, and can't wait for my tomatoes to get ready so i can do some ketchup. We don't use much, but it would be nice like you said to get away from buying it. One less thing on my ever-shrinking grocery list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's about 1/2 a tablespoon...I have this chart in a sheet protector hanging on my fridge:
    http://www.cookbookpeople.com/images/kitchen-conversion-chart.pdf
    I think I'll figure out a way to link to it on my blog...

    ReplyDelete