Sunday, March 14, 2010

Weather and Moods

I've never officially studied what science calls "seasonal affective disorder", sometimes called cabin fever, but I know enough to say "duh"!  Does it really take scientific research to confirm how seasons and weather affect mood?  For those living in cold winter climates, I'm guessing you can attest to the need to get outside ASAP once the snow starts melting and the sun starts shining.  For my local friends, I think it can happen even in summer-you know-when it's over 100 degrees for days or months at a time and you're stuck inside.  Personally, I need sunlight (or is that SONlight) regularly and the feeling of freedom that I get from being outside regularly.  We've had about 3 days of perfect weather now and I notice that I'm in a better mood, able to adjust better to things that might have triggered stress last week as a result of spending time outside.  I'm indoors writing this right now because I got too warm while sitting outside.  I do feel fresh and rejuvinated though!

5 comments:

  1. Aye, that you are. I noticed! SONlight--I like that. You are a good girl, Kelly; It's good to be near you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Kelly!
    I am still working on the milking. We do have a dairy goat as well and we plan on breeding her this May for the first time with the sole purpose of having milk. I make all of our dairy products at home and though we have a local dairy I can buy milk from, I want to reduce my dependence on them as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! i finally had a chance to come and "visit" you :) Looks like we have lots in common!!! I'll be back and get more acquainted with your blog!!! Looks interesting!!!

    on the meat thing....we so could never do it ourselves. If we could find a local farmer I would buy from them though. Still working on it. We definitely won't give it up completely just cut back a bit! I think God gave us everything we need, meat included!! No complete Vegans here!!

    And I hear ya on the govt! I wish they'd butt out a bit!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Weather does make a difference. Yesterday I went out several times and wandered around and decided what chair to put out to sit in when it gets warmer. It's about 50ยบ right now but a little overcast so not as warm as yesterday. I can't WAIT to get hot (well, for a little while, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winter isn't so bad after putting in long hours and hard work for months in the garden and working around farm. The break is relaxing. The snow is welcome for a few times. Then the body needs that work again, and that's where the cabin fever sets in. Being used to multi-tasking with inside and outside work, only inside work gets boring fast. lol And here in midwest, working outside in anything from 0* to 30* temps isn't fun after 30 minutes, no matter how many layers of clothes. lol

    ReplyDelete