Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Some-things Cookin'

  1. It occured to me that many of you may think, based on the title of my blog that it's mostly about cooking.  If you knew that my last name is Cook, you'd see the twist.  I wanted to incorporate my name and also convey that there wasn't a specific topic for this blog, so that's where the some-things part comes in.  Enough about me, let's talk about what I made for dinner!
  2. After some consultation with Polly at Polly's Path, I knew what I needed to do with the last batch of chevre that came out more solid and kinda strong on the goat flavor.  Today I put it in the crockpot with about 1/3 cup of milk while we were out planting more seeds, after Tony got home from work.  I added a very generous scoup of asiago parmesan tapenade that I got from a local olive mill.  I then sprinkled it all with salt and Italian seasoning and let it warm until dinner time.  I've been trying to use food from our freezer (imagine that!) so the cheese sauce went on shrim and crab stuffed ravioli.  Yes, it was GOOD!  We had more of the salad from the other night with the buttermilk dressing.  Speaking of the dressing, does anyone have a good recipe of what goes into buttermilk/ranch dressing?
  3. After dinner I started moving food to the fridge we brought home from Tony's shop.  4 gallons of milk and 9 dozen eggs.  I wonder if I could contract with a local restaurant to buy my excess eggs?  It's a small place-old bungalow style house converted into a restaurant-and I think they're only open 5 days a week.  I should ask how many eggs they go through a week and see if they're interested in featuring free range, local eggs on their menu.  Hmmm...

3 comments:

  1. THAT sounds like an awesome dish! So glad it turned out good for you!
    I put garlic, dill, salt, pepper, and a squeeze of lemon juice in my buttermilk dressing. My MIL who doesn't mind purchasing packaged stuff puts a package of dry ranch dressing in her buttermilk.
    As for your egg idea-og, how I love it. I hope they go for it. I wonder if you might have to get your eggs certified? I am sure they will know the local regulations. You should SO ask them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not willing to buy the mix-learning that dry milk has oxidated cholesterol-the kind of cholesterol that's bad for you.

    I am going to look into egg regulations-I realized after typing that idea, that I get at the most 10 eggs per day and that wouldn't be enough for them. If regulations aren't crazy, we might build a coop at our other property and add enough hens to supply them with eggs...assuming they are interested, of course!

    I just saw that my bread machine has a pizza dough setting so I'm going to try a white pizza with the rest of this cheese that's so dry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Around here, people just put a sign in their front yard. Eggs for sale. It works, people stop and buy from them. Good luck on your pizza, hope it's "good eating".

    ReplyDelete