- This is our first year planting heirloom seeds (I think I'm using the right terminology-seeds that can be planted and seeds from its fruit can be saved for next year) and the package tells me I can't plant a different variety from the same cultivar with 1/4 to 1/2 mile of each other. What?? So I can only have one type of melon? Or beet? Or cucumber? Anyone else had any trouble with this?
- We went to the County Fair the other day and had a great time! I called it our Official Kick-Off of Summer Fun. Got some good pictures, then my poor husband sat down with it in his back pocket. The screen cracked and you can't see anything on it anymore. It still takes pictures though. Looking at eBay for another one.
- I want to have a contest to name the trio of goats that arrived at our home April 15th. I need good pictures of them first. The prize will be a homemade bread bag, and I wanted to post pictures of the tea towels I bought to make them with.
- My husband and I celebrated the 4 year anniversarry of our engagement last night by attending the Celtic Woman concert in Phoenix. My parents watched our son and we got a hotel room afterwards. It was a fabulous time and I want to find links to youtube videos of this concert to point out some of the highlights. In addition to the amazing voices of the singers, the musicians are unbelievable too. Dual percussionists-quite entertaining to watch.
- Tonight we got to watch a local performance of The Sound of Music. It's my favorite movie, my husband enjoys it, and every now and then our 4 year old son asks to watch it. We took him with us and he did quite well. He preferred the singing parts and got a little restless during speaking parts, but never so much as to be a nuisance to those nearby.
- I'm getting 3 quarts of milk a day from our goats. We aren't keeping up with using it! I've run out of canning jars to store it in. And gallon jugs. We have 2 gallons away this week. I made 4 quarts of yogurt in the last 10 days. 2 quarts of ice cream. As soon as I place the order for cheese cultures I can start making cheese! I thought I might be able to find some in Phoenix, so waited til that trip was over, but never even found a cheesemaking supply store. Polly-did you say you get yours from the NE Cheesmaking Co? I checked their site and will probably order their goat cheese starter kit tomorrow. Hubby said he could make a cheese press for me.
Thursday, May 6, 2010
Do you ever wonder how we'll handle eternity? Knowing there is no end? It's a concept I can't wrap my brain around in a world where no one seems to have enough time! I'm either busy living life, while simultaneously thinking about how I want to present this experience on my blog, or sitting here reading other blogs and web sites learning to do things that will take me away from the computer. There are days I could make 4 or 5 posts, but then I'm not sure if they'd all get read or simply lost in the shuffle, so I wait. Then a whole week goes by and I haven't blogged! So just a quick summary of things that have been on my mind: