Thursday, May 6, 2010

Time Conflicts

Do you ever wonder how we'll handle eternity?  Knowing there is no end?  It's a concept I can't wrap my brain around in a world where no one seems to have enough time!  I'm either busy living life, while simultaneously thinking  about how I want to present this experience on my blog, or sitting here reading other blogs and web sites learning to do  things that will take me away from the computer.  There are days I could make 4 or 5 posts, but then I'm not sure if they'd all get read or simply lost in the shuffle, so I wait.  Then a whole week goes by and I haven't blogged!  So just a quick summary of things that have been on my mind:
  1. This is our first year planting heirloom seeds (I think I'm using the right terminology-seeds that can be planted and seeds from its fruit can be saved for next year) and the package tells me I can't plant a different variety from the same cultivar with 1/4 to 1/2 mile of each other.  What??  So I can only have one type of melon?  Or beet?  Or cucumber?  Anyone else had any trouble with this?
  2. We went to the County Fair the other day and had a great time!  I called it our Official Kick-Off of Summer Fun.  Got some good pictures, then my poor husband sat down with it in his back pocket.  The screen cracked and you can't see anything on it anymore.  It still takes pictures though.  Looking at eBay for another one.
  3. I want to have a contest to name the trio of goats that arrived at our home April 15th.  I need good pictures of them first.  The prize will be a homemade bread bag, and I wanted to post pictures of the tea towels I bought to make them with.
  4. My husband and I celebrated the 4 year anniversarry of our engagement last night by attending the Celtic Woman concert in Phoenix.  My parents watched our son and we got a hotel room afterwards.  It was a fabulous time and I want to find links to youtube videos of this concert to point out some of the highlights.  In addition to the amazing voices of the singers, the musicians are unbelievable too.  Dual percussionists-quite entertaining to watch.
  5. Tonight we got to watch a local performance of The Sound of Music.  It's my favorite movie, my husband enjoys it, and every now and then our 4 year old son asks to watch it.  We took him with us and he did quite well.  He preferred the singing parts and got a little restless during speaking parts, but never so much as to be a nuisance to those nearby.
  6. I'm getting 3 quarts of milk a day from our goats.  We aren't keeping up with using it!  I've run out of canning jars to store it in.  And gallon jugs.  We have 2 gallons away this week.  I made 4 quarts of yogurt in the last 10 days.  2 quarts of ice cream.  As soon as I place the order for cheese cultures I can start making cheese!  I thought I might be able to find some in Phoenix, so waited til that trip was over, but never even found a cheesemaking supply store.  Polly-did you say you get yours from the NE Cheesmaking Co?  I checked their site and will probably order their goat cheese starter kit tomorrow.  Hubby said he could make a cheese press for me.
Those are just the ones I can remember.  I probably ought to set a time just for posting, but I'm not good at sticking to a regular schedule.  I'm enjoing reading the blogs I follow, and I'm making some "friends" in the process. More later.  Thanks for stopping by!

One happy boy riding the tractor wagon to the fair entrance last week!

6 comments:

  1. I think I just erased my comment.
    Yes, NE Cheesemaking Co. Great stuff, very fast shipping.
    Happy anniversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, you don't have to wait for cultures to make soft goat cheese - look on my blog under "Goats" and you'll see how to make it with just apple cider vinegar. Add some herbs and it's fabulous! You can make yogurt too by just buying a small container of good quality yogurt - heat one quart of milk to 110 degrees, add 2 T. of the store bought yogurt, stir, and put in a canning jar. I put it in my dehydrator for 8 hours at 110 degrees, but you can do this in a warm spot. Just google directions.

    Sorry to hear about your camera - I dropped mine and the same thing happened. I've been meaning to see if the screen can be replaced for a reasonable price because my camera still works otherwise, too.

    Heirlooms, yes, they reproduce true to kind if separated. However, if you're only raising one of each item - ie: one kind of tomato - I don't THINK you have to separate them from other things such as beans, corn, etc. The separation is only if you plan to save the seed and have it remain true to type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks gals! Amy-I will buy some ACV today and try that recipe. I've currently got 2 qts in the crockpot warming for yogurt (SIL gave me a Yogourmet recently) and another qt in the ice cream maker. Between that and drinking it, we've used a gallon since last night. I'm waiting for the milk to get to the right temp and then it's time to milk again and I'll have another 3 qts! I just told God that if someone needs milk He needs to send them over or tell me who it is so I can deliver it. I'm out of jars though!
    I got a tip at CM about the heirloom seeds-I can plant all of them and cover one section of each to protect it from the cross polination-and save the seeds from that section. Glad to have an option!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eternity? I plan on sitting in a rocking chair and watching as the sun crosses the sky daily, talking to God.
    Sounds like you've been busy there lady. Good luck on your cheese making. Isn't the internet just great, others helping others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to mention vinegar for soft cheeses ... also, look into Nuefchatel cheese ... that was my aunt's favorite cheese and I made a lot for her when I had goats. I have a friend who makes hard cheddar, as well, and it really is good. She doesn't put color in it but that doesn't make any difference when you get used to white cheddar!

    Have fun with your extra milk. Surely there is someone who wants it there. Advertise by word of mouth --- a lot of mothers want goats milk for their babies.

    ReplyDelete