Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Morning Off Schedule

But it's exciting!  My culture order from NE CheeseMaking Supply arrived this morning before I took my son to preschool.  I quickly read the directions for chevre and realized I could start that as soon as I got back, as well as a qt of buttermilk.  So-the 5 quarts needed for both are warming to the proper temps and then I'll add the starter culture.  In my morning milking I acquired another 2 and a half quarts so my net change in milk quantity is just 2 and a half quarts.

I was getting a bit frazzled when my tummy growled and I realized I hadn't eaten breakfast yet, so I whipped something up and sat down here to read my friends' blogs.  Then it hit me-except for the butter on the toast, everything was homemade or purchased locally.  The ham came from a hlaf hog we bought from a local grower, toast from homemade bread, with butter and homemade peach jam.  I should be drinking another glass of fresh milk too...

I need to go get the kitchen cleaned before it's time to pick up kiddos at preschool.  It's my day to have 2 extras and we go to the park for a while, so I need to have water and snacks ready too.  Check back Friday for results of my first cheesemaking attempt...

2 comments:

  1. good luck! I hope it is delicious! It will be..
    And about what you ate this morning-I had the same type of moment last night, and I will blog about it next week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to hear how the cheese turns out. Be sure to let us know.

    ReplyDelete