Monday, May 17, 2010

Milestones

Over the weekend I noticed that I had made 100 posts.  I think that's a milestone.  I was also thinking of writing of my life now vs one year ago and that's another milestone.  Choosing to buy a buck is another one, but I already told you about that.  My son's first year of preschool came to an end last week, we could call that a milestone too.

On Saturday, I made buttermilk biscuits, with buttermilk that I made myself, from goats that I hand milked.  We ate it with sausage made from a goat we raised.  I'd say lovingly, but my attitide towards him wasn't so warm for the last few months.  Not that anything in his care changed, just my attitude toward this kid that was drinking my milk and ramming me in the legs.  I also baked brownies from scratch, made a peach pie from scratch, made homemade ice cream.  I finished off a second batch of chevre that I shaped into a pretty ball for a BBQ we went to on Sunday.  I made bread dough in the machine and used it to make chicken in a bread loaf for dinner.  I kept the kicthen relatively clean all day too.

In addition to those kitchen duties, I washed all of our bed sheets and made fresh beds, folded and put away 2 loads of my sons clothes, and took care of the daily animal needs.  For some of you, this may sound like any typical day.  For me, it caused me to realize how far I've come in a year or so.  Brownies came out of a box, biscuits from a can (though from time to time I would make a batch from scratch), cheese was something I'd never even contemplated making, and ice cream wasn't something I really enjoyed enough to keep in the freezer.  Dinner was eaten out more often than home and the dishwasher was only needed about once a week.  While I cook at home a lot now, we still don't use enough dishes to run the machine daily, but getting close!

I've started using cut up old wash cloths to clean my goats' udders instead of paper towels.  I made a few cloth napkins at my first sewing lesson, and I use cloth pads instead of disposable ones now.  This will be a nice accounting of where we are at this point in our journey and some day I might read it and say-that's all  I did??  For now, I'm pleased with the progress and hope to keep taking steps in the direction that brings us health.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your milestone and wonderful progress. I am only half way there with blog posts. Things have slowed as work on house and yard are taking priority. On the bright side, once I get the yard in better shape we will be prepared for actual farm animals to join us.
    I still have time to research, but there is no education like actually doing what you choose to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on how far you have come! It is funny,when I was younger I didn't realize anyone still chose a life like we are making and now there seem to be so many of us finding our way down the same path..sigh..it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congrats-I call that GREAT progress!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how as we age, we tend to want to work hard, when we were younger, we took the easy way and found it turned out to really be a waste of money and we had more stress. lol Congrats on all the things you dreamed of doing coming true for you.

    ReplyDelete