Saturday, May 15, 2010

The Buck Stops Here

We broke down, gave in and bought a registerable Alpine buck last night.  I've been looking for one to use as a stud since we got our girls last year and we found one Alpine, but he wasn't registered and lived too far away.  This guy comes from registered parents, so we just need to do the paperwork.  He is VERY calm-I was surprised.  The town where he used to live is about an hour away from here and he didn't make a sound the whole way back, nor when we took him out of the truck to go into the pasture.  He's even kinda handsome.  No pictures yet though.  Previous owner called him Bolt.  Not sure what we'll go with.

On an unrelated animal note-we had to take Purrsy to the vet again when we got back from buying the goat.  She looked thin, but wouldn't jump up onto the dryer to eat (does anyone else have cats and dogs and have to keep the cat food up high?) so I reached down to pick her up and felt something wet.  She's not quite a year old and a small cat, but had a rather large gash on her underside.  Several inches long and kinda deep.  No blood though-maybe she had already cleaned herself up, but none was even visible.  We are fortunate to have a 24 hour vet in town.  I haven't heard from them, guess I should call and see if she's ready to come home.

6 comments:

  1. Congrads on your new buck! I hope your kitty will be OK.I think I have just gotten a new farm cat and 3 kittens...some one abandoned them conveniently in the woods next to our house.I guess it is good timing since we were beginning to get some mice around...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new buck! Can't wait to see pictures of him. So sorry to hear about your cat, I hope she is better soon. Yes, when we had an indoor dog we had to keep the cat food up or he would gobble it up any chance he got. Now we can't keep their food outdoors either because the darn opossums will eat it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Purrsy arrived on our doorstep the morning after having to put down one of our dogs-we already have 2 cats and weren't looking to add any. Put an ad on Craigslist to find her a home, but no takers, then my hubby realized that I wanted to keep her and agreed. I think she's going to be the "free" animal that costs us a fortune in vet bills over her lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. poor kitten-sounds like an abcess. We also have to hide the cat food from the dogs-I keep it up high too.
    And how brave you are, to get a buck. I hope he stays as nice and calm as he was last night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's even calmer than our does! I hope he can do his job...

    Purrsy is doing well. She hates being stuck inside and we're supposed to keep her in for two weeks-I think today is the last day we'll make her stay in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bit late in commenting here, I did read it, thought I left you message, guess not. Is Purrsy doing better now? Hope she heals fast. And Bolt, is he calming the does down with his nice mannerism? Hope he does a good job and makes pretty babies.

    ReplyDelete