Friday, August 6, 2010

Real Food vs Vacation With Extended Family

Our real food journey began over a year ago as I investigated the cause of my adrenal fatigue. We started with chickens for fresh eggs, added goats for raw milk and started eliminating processed foods. I can’t say that we’ve “arrived” but after a few days of camping with extended family I can say that we’ve ventured far off the beaten path of convenience and food-like stuff. Actually, it was noticeable as soon as we boarded the airplane to fly to Boise. I’d already decided that since we’d be on vacation and I was basically just along for the ride (not involved in the planning and not wanting to be difficult) I’d graciously eat whatever was offered and lovingly prepared.


Less than 24 hours after leaving home we’d broken just about every food rule we’d been following. Including:

High fructose corn syrup*hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils*cottonseed oil*pasteurized milk*artificial colors*processed eggs*white bread*extruded grains*microwave*chemical laden produce


I’ve consumed popular sodas, spreadable margarine, white bread, miracle whip, potato chips, red vines, white bread, fruity flake cereal, Crisco, way too much candy, and probably things I’ve already forgotten! We used paper plates, paper napkins, paper towels, plastic cups, plastic utensils, individual plastic water bottles, and soda cans. I haven’t had any probiotic foods or drinks, coconut oil, fish oil, whole wheat bread, fresh eggs or raw dairy. We won’t be home until the 11th, so it’ll be a few more days before I get any of that at home. I might be able to get some of those things before then, but what I’ve realized is that my journey hasn’t reached the point of being able to travel and keep eating real food. My tinnitus seems a little worse and therefore the accompanying headache is too. I feel fat, out of shape and fatigued. We were camping and I couldn’t really relax. Not sure why-just sitting around not doing anything, so I should have been relaxed.

This blog is part of Fight Back Fridays at The Food Renegade.

5 comments:

  1. It sometimes takes a trip like this to realize how far we have come! Hope you get some REAL food soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate travel food. It's so hard to eat right when you are away from home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christy-yeah...I knew my style had changed a lot, but it screams like red flags when it actually happens. Won't be home til Wednesday, so it's gonna have to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you should have visited a store and gotten yourself some fresh fruit and veggies to hide in your bag to munch on here and there. Nuts and dried fruits, something to keep you at least partially within your diet foods. Try to enjoy the rest of your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was on vacation the week before you. After 2 days I was sick. I had to hunt down a natural foods store and get some Ezekial bread and some nut butter just to have something I could eat!! From that point on I lived on salad, and peanut butter sandwiches. It was a good eye opener for me, too!

    ReplyDelete