Saturday, July 17, 2010

Update to Weekly Farm Report

I made my report too soon.  Tony took the truck out this afternoon to collect broken tree branches from yesterday's storm.  The goats love them and it's free food!  While he was out, someone gave him three HUGE garbage bags full of apples!  We just finished sorting them and were able to save about 2 bags worth.  The other will be goat, cow and horse treats.  So now to ask for YOUR favorite apple recipe.  The recipes in my Home Canning book include:
  • apple butter
  • conserve
  • syrup
  • jelly
  • juice
  • pie filling
  • preserves
  • apple-rhubarb chutney
  • wedges in cinnamon red hot syrup (yum!)
  • studded with cherries and raisins
I have lots of canning jars AND plenty of freezer space, so let's hear your ideas! 

Yes, there are so many we washed them in the bathtub!

7 comments:

  1. Whoa, look at the apples. Gee, look at the little guy, he's so cute. Did he learn how to sort apples too? Another lesson?
    I would do apple butter and then plain apples to use any way I wanted later on. Looks like your choices are endless. Happy chopping, dicing, cooking, and canning. Hope to hear what all you made from yours soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, what's going on with Elsie? Is she just going to be a brood cow and raise babies? You never got her tame enough for milking at all? Maybe next calf you can try and she might be better?

    Love the apples. I don't think we are going to get any - can't find any on the three trees - we think the wind whipped the blossoms off before they turned to baby apples. (Sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laura-I was so overwhelmed with apples that I didn't even think to post this as a lesson at Goober Gus, thanks! I forgot about apple chips-need to find a dehydrator I can borrow.

    Connie-Elsie is home and still nursing, and Kim said she was able to touch her udder w/o any kicking, but she never tried milking again. She suggested we try again if we can wean Jasper. The trouble now is they are at the pasture-a couple of miles away and there's no milk stall over there. I might try just tying her to the fence? Or I might just wait until she has another calf. Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh how wonderful! Free apples! My first choice would be the apple butter.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love free apples! We can apple pie filling and apple sauce. Last year, we made cider.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, all the apples you got!!!
    My FIL gave me a bag from his tree last weekend and we ate most of them raw.
    You could make some applesauce. If I had this many i would be pressin' me some cider.
    Apple pies, too. My favorite are my MIL's fried apple pies. So bad for you but so good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW the fried apple pies are simply cooked down apples stuffed inside rolled out pie dough, cut with a large cutter and crimped. She fies them lightly in canola oil. I have baked them in the past just to avoid the fat.

    ReplyDelete