Thursday, July 8, 2010

Never a Dull Moment

Especially when there's a 4 year old boy in the family!  Yesterday we stopped at a little hole in the wall taco place for lunch.  Our darling son thought he'd be cute and slide the highchair to our table to sit in.  We told him he was too big, but he proceeded to try and climb in anyway.  He got stuck.  Literally.  I couldn't pull him out.  Tony and I together couldn't pull him out.  I was laughing quite hard by now.  We tried a different tug and he finally slipped free.  We tried to use it as a learning moment, but based on today's events it went in one ear and out the other.

He's had a stuffy nose for a few days.  It usually happens when he has lots of water play time, so a week in the pool at my parents house was good cause for it.  Today he kept making snorting noises but when I'd ask if he was blowing or sniffling he couldn't answer, and would never do it when I could see him.  That should have been my first clue.  At dinner it looked like he had a blob of mud in his nose so I got a tissue to have him blow.  Nothing was coming out.  I tried pulling on it and realized it was hard-so I thought he had a rock in his nose from playing in the mud.  Nope.  It was most of an almond.  He had a bowl of mixed nuts at 11 this morning.  For 8 hours this thing has been in his nose and I couldn't see it until tonight!  Why does a child even think  about stuffing things up his or her nose?  Is it a boy thing?  Tony says he never thought about it as a kid, and I know I didn't, so what causes this insane behavior?

I don't think the detailed version of what a doctor would have to do to get it out had any affect on him either, as he'd wait for Tony to stop talking (a miracle in itself) and then say something totally unrelated.  It wasn't until after  I had the nut out that I thought about taking a picture.  No shortage of blog material around here!

4 comments:

  1. I've given up trying to figure out why boys do what they do! My son is the same way when I try to explain a lesson to him. As soon as I take a breath, he's talking about something else entirely. I just hope it's in there somewhere...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep,it is mostly a boy thing! Every once in a while you will find a girl like that too! I had a niece put a piece of chalk up her nose,swallow a nickle....it goes on,lol! These are the stories you et to tell his girlfriend one day! And later his kids...When your daddy was a little boy he....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so funny! It definitely has to be a boy thing.
    My daughter must have been a very easy child because she never did those tricks, never was interested in sockets or cabinets or toilets or porch railings...always read her books and played quietly with her animals, went to sleep when asked...I guess God gave me exactly as much as he knew I could handle at that time in my life.
    My little nephew is the exact opposite and at 5 he has driven mowers, his grandpa's truck, and shot a gun. He has flipped a golfcart and gotten stuck in the mud on a 4-wheeler. He has wrestled kids (he calls it rassling) and small animals. My BIL jokes that they will one time let me keep him for a day just to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is a delightful song that we heard often as we were growing up:

    "BEANS IN MY EARS
    My mommy said not to put beans in my ears
    Beans in my ears, beans in my ears
    My mommy said not to put beans in my ears
    Beans … in … my … ears
    Now why would I want to put beans in my ears?
    You can’t hear the teacher with beans in your ears.
    Beans … in … my … ears
    Hey, what’s that you say? Let’s put beans in our ears!
    Beans … in … our … ears
    You’ll have to speak up, I’ve got beans in my ears.
    Beans … in … our … ears
    Hey Mommy we’ve gone and put beans in our ears.
    That’s nice kids just don’t put those beans in your ears.
    Beans … in … our … ears
    I think that all grownups have beans in their ears.
    Beans … in … their … ears"

    ReplyDelete