Sunday, October 31, 2010

Locavore

It's an interesting idea, but not one I'm eager to embrace.  I don't think chocolate grows around here!  Regardless, I do prefer to buy locally when possible and growing our own is the bigger goal.  Last night while eating dinner I realized everything had come from within 50 miles of home.

Pastured chicken from the farmer's market (been in freezer), green beans from a friend's garden, squash from the U-pick farm, and a pomegranate from the farmer's market.  Milk from our goats rounded out the meal.  I didn't take pictures.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think the idea behind locavore is to buy absolutely every single thing locally. Its to buy anything that can be produced locally, locally, and only buy things that aren't local if they can be easily traded and there's no ready substitute. For example, cocoa has never and will never grow in Massachusetts (where I live). But it also trades well, and has historically been a traded item (before fossil fuels). I might then make an effort to only have chocolate as a treat, and I would certainly want to make sure it was grown responsibly and that the workers received a fair wage. Finding a local processor might be a step further, maybe even one that trades directly with the farmers, to cut out the middle man and reduce extraneous shipping. While I don't label myself a locavore generally, I seem to follow the general principals. But I certainly have no qualms about say, buying tea or coffee on a regular basis. Things that have to be refrigerated, or airshipped, or honey from CA, when the guy across the street has plenty of it? No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, but I've read a book or two and the occassional blog post that suggest we should try to get all of our food within a 250 mile radius or less. I think local should take priority over trucked in, as long as the local vendor isn't taking advantage to gouge the consumer seeking to spend locally. I live in central AZ and could quite feasibly grow a garden year round. I'm not set up to do so right now, but it is a long range goal. We're also working on raising our own beef, poultry and pork. We do have dairy goats and chickens for eggs already.

    Thanks for replying!

    ReplyDelete