Sunday, January 29, 2012

Books About Preserving Meat

The two that we're excited about right now and planning to purchase are Charcuterie and Pig:  King of the Southern Table.  Having recently butchered our first steer and knowing the pig's turn is soon, we've been looking at all the wonderful things we can do with the meat. 


I came across Pig a while back while exploring titles thru my Nook Color.  I downloaded the sample and just the first chapter piqued my interest.  I now have it from the library and am convinced we need to own it.  The only question is eBook or hardback.  The size of it says eBook, but there's just something about a physical book that I can't quite overcome.  Since the majority of the book is a how to and recipe book, we'll likely get it on the Nook.  The Nook works well in the kitchen-I open a cabinet and secure it behind the cabinet's center support, keeping it at eye level and away from spills.  This book will show us how to use just about every part of the pig available.  There are some things I can't wait to try (making our own bacon) and others that I'm sure I'd never miss (blood sausage).  According to the book, Southerner's make use of just about every part of the pig-the ears, jowls, hooves, feet, brains.  I think the eyes were the only part I haven't seen a use for!


This one is going to teach us a lot!  Everything from hot dogs to red wine salami to confit to pate (which I formally believed to simply be pureed liver) and everything in between.  Tony and I are both excited to work through these recipes and processes.  The challenge is going to be our small kitchen and lack of curing space.  However, Tony's already talking about building a smoke house!  I wonder if it could have a cheese cave basement below it?

This post is shared at the Homestead Barn Hop.
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. We are looking into meat preservation as one of our long term goals too. Having a place to let the sausage cure at the proper temp and level of humidity is a challenge. I will watch to see what you come up with. If I figure it out I will share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this, I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never tried blood sausage ... in German, it's called Klube .. and my cousins were trying sooo hard to talk me into trying it that I became suspicious and asked my aunt what it was! Never DID, much to the cousins' dismay! I used to make liver "pate" with chicken and / or rabbit livers ... the kids and Norm loved it - I should make some again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Connie-mind sharing the recipe for pate if you still have it?

    Clint, thanks for stopping by-the pig still has a month or so of weight gain before butchering, so some of these recipes are on hold til then. I hope you'll come back to see what we've done.

    ReplyDelete