Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Do you know...

what a screaming raccoon sounds like?  We just found out!  Tony was playing chess with our son on the new Nook Color I got for my birthday (yeah, it's supposed to be mine, hehe) while I was searching for new apps for the Nook when we heard this horrendous screeching outside.  I ran out as fast as I could but didn't grab the flashlight.  My first thought was something was attacking chickens, but when I got outside the few that sleep under the stars seems unruffled so I thought maybe something jumped into the pig pen and was attacking her.  Tony grabbed the light and came out, but went toward the creek from the other side of the goat pen, so I still couldn't see the pig.  He said it was raccoons and could see them up in the giant cottonwood tree by the creek.  We heard splashes from the beaver but it wasn't adding up for me.

Once we confirmed the pig and goats were OK, he tried to scare the 'coons off.  They did run away, but we don't know where.  All I can say is that's an AWFUL sound and if the raccoons are going to fight, they need to do it somewhere else!

6 comments:

  1. Yikes, I have heard what sounds like one screaming in the distance but always assumed a coyote got one or something. Never thought about two fighting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was sure I'd find a bloody mess with that blood belonging to one or more of our animals, based on the noise we heard! I was so surprised when it turned out to just be raccoons making noise. Maybe the beavers had climbed the trees and were a cause for the alarm, but I don't know if beavers do that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Sweet Wife insists on feeding them from our deck. Yes, I know how they sound. Couple of them approach and actually try and climb her legs. I don't like it, but, she's too kind, feels sorry for them. Nice blog, btw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I don't have my own farm animals to protect, I like watching them. I was a little dismayed that my husband wanted to "do away with them" but then remembered he's protecting our food supply!

    Thanks for stopping by and the nice comment!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've ever heard one scream before, but they can sure do some damage to a dog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah? I didn't think they'd bother a dog.

    ReplyDelete