Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Where Our Food Comes From

I was asked a question today that I've been asked before and it's usually a long answer, and because it's one busy mom asking another busy mom, I don't usually get to give the longer, detailed answer.  So, I decided that I'd write about it here because I'm geekish that way.

Where do we shop for our groceries?  There have been times that my weekly "grocery" trip netted so few items in the cart that I got to use the express lane.  My only local grocery option is Basha's, and the 3 things we used to buy the most of there were bananas, bread and bottled club soda.  The 3 B's at B's.  Some of our friends work there, so we try to support them as much as possible, but this town isn't "organic" friendly, so there aren't too many things there we like.

My Local Grocery Store:

  • Some produce.  We use the Dirty Dozen/Clean 15 app.  If it's in the top 20-25 cleanest, we'll risk non organic, but the rest of the list we buy organic.  My town is not into organic, clean, real food, so the options at this store are limited, but thankfully growing.  I can get organic celery and greens when I need them now, rather than having to plan ahead.
  • Club soda.  I need the bubbles.
  • Sometimes a loaf of sourdough bread, but I started baking our own recently and it's so much better and about one third of the cost.
  • Wild caught fish and seafood.
  • Organic milk when our goats are "dry".  Organic sour cream.
  • Cereal and coffee for my husband.
  • Some canned goods (salsa, tuna, green chilies)
  • Blue Bunny vanilla ice cream.
Trader Joe's:
  • Uncured hot dogs
  • Bacon ends and pieces
  • Organic whole chickens
  • Some produce
  • Some dairy-butter, heavy cream, yogurt and specialty cheeses-all organic
  • Fun food.  Their commitment to not using artificial flavors, dyes or other chemicals, and no GMO's makes it easier on me to have crackers and similar snacks available.  I used to make them from scratch.
Azure Standard:
  • Frozen berries and vegetables
  • Pasta
  • Canned salmon
  • Bulk grains
  • Herbs and spices
  • In season produce
  • Non -GMO cheddar, mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses.
  • Orange dark chocolate
  • Tomato products
  • Nuts, coconut, and other "super food" type things
  • Grade B, organic maple syrup
  • Evaporated cane juice and other baking essentials
DIY:
  • Beef
  • Pork
  • Lamb
  • Milk
  • Yogurt
  • Goat cheese
  • Chicken eggs
  • Duck eggs
  • Some produce-we haven't been too successful with our gardens.  :-(
  • Sourdough bread
Miscellaneous:
  • I recently tried Bountiful Baskets produce delivery again.  I have mixed feelings about it.
  • CSA (community supported agriculture), I didn't like the reality of it as much as the idea behind it.
  • Trades and barter, freebies whenever they arise.
That's the big stuff.  We used to rarely eat out after we changed our diet over to real food, but with our two new additions to the family, sometimes the need to end chaos outweighs the commitment to avoiding all the processed junk out there.  Thanks to several of you for asking the question and giving me a reason to really think about it again!

1 comment:

  1. This was a fun read, Thanks for the entertainment Kelly, and secondly You go girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete